Collage of 101 figures
Collage of 101 figures
compiled by Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot), after Disdéri, after John Jabez Edwin Mayall, after Camille Silvy, and after Unknown photographers
albumen print collage, 1860s
13 3/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (339 mm x 262 mm) overall
Bequeathed by Francis Needham, 1971
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Disdéri (1819-1889), Photographer. Artist associated with 206 portraits.
- Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot) (died 1894), Wife of Hon. William Nassau Jocelyn; daughter of Sir George Elliot. Artist associated with 1 portrait, Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 486 portraits.
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 3692 portraits, Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Unknown photographers. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 194 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 72 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 105 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 138 portraits.
- Catherine Frances (née Elliot), Lady Drummond (died 1914), Wife of Sir James Robert Drummond; daughter of Sir George Eliot. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Sir James Robert Drummond (1812-1895), Admiral. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Hon. Margaret Alice Drummond (1841-1875), Daughter of 9th Viscount Strathallan. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-1910. Sitter associated with 413 portraits.
- Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot) (died 1894), Wife of Hon. William Nassau Jocelyn; daughter of Sir George Elliot. Sitter associated with 6 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Sir George Augustus Elliot (1813-1901), Admiral; writer and politician. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Mary Elliot (active 1860s), Relation of Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot). Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Princess María Eugenia Ignacia Augustina de Palafox-Portocarrero de Guzmán y Kirkpatrick (née 'Eugénie de Montijo'), Empress of France (1826-1920), Empress of Napoléon III of France. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882), Italian soldier; played central role in unification of Italy. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- Robert Stayner Holford (1808-1892), Art and plant collector. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Hon. Charles Hugh Lindsay (1816-1889), Army officer and politician; son of 24th Earl of Crawford. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Princess Marie Clotilde Bonaparte (1843-1911), Wife of Prince Napoléon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte; daughter of Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Napoléon III, Emperor of France (1808-1873), Reigned 1852-70. Sitter in 35 portraits.
- Prince Napoléon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte (1822-1891), Son of Jerome Bonaparte and Catharina of Württemberg; cousin of Napoleon III; husband of Clotilde of Savoy. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Elizabeth Georgina Frances (née Elliot), Countess of Northesk (1843-1933), Wife of 9th Earl of Northesk; daughter of Sir George Augustus Elliot. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Emily Mary ('Amelia') (née Lamb), Viscountess Palmerston (1787-1869), Political hostess; wife of 3rd Viscount Palmerston. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Adelaide Ristori (1822-1906), Actress. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 226 portraits.
- Ian Charles Ogilvie-Grant, 8th Earl of Seafield (1851-1884), Son of 7th Earl of Seafield. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Christina Maria Hersey (née Baird), Viscountess Strathallan (died 1867), Wife of 9th Viscount Strathallan; daughter of Robert Baird. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Hon. Fanny Charlotte Tomline (née Gage) (1830-1883), Wife of William Tomline; daughter of 4th Viscount Gage. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- William Tomline (died 1883), Captain. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 496 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Horace Wigan (1815 or 1816-1885), Actor and playwright; brother of Alfred Sydney Wigan. Sitter associated with 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG x74324: Empress Eugénie of France (source portrait)
- NPG Ax128994: Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (née Elliot) (source portrait)
- NPG Ax128908: Mary Elliot (source portrait)
- NPG x74578: Princess Marie Clotilde Bonaparte; Prince Napoléon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte (source portrait)
- NPG Ax24143: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (source portrait)
Portrait setback to top
Exhibitions and displays
- Painting Parliament: The Fine Arts Commission 1841 – 1863
Until 10 May 2015
Related shop items
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Camille Silvy: Photographer of Modern Life 1834-1910 catalogue (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790 (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Famous Faces Playing Cards
- Monarchs Ruler