Collage of 101 figures
18 of 224 portraits of John Russell, 1st Earl Russell
Collage of 101 figures
compiled by Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (nee Elliot), after Disderi, after John Jabez Edwin Mayall, after Camille Silvy, and after Unknown photographers
albumen print collage, 1860s
13 3/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (339 mm x 262 mm) overall
Bequeathed by Francis Needham, 1971
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Disderi (1819-1889), Photographer. Artist associated with 201 portraits.
- Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (nee Elliot) (died 1894), Wife of Hon. William Nassau Jocelyn; daughter of Sir George Elliot. Artist associated with 1 portrait, Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 480 portraits.
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 3363 portraits, Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Unknown photographers. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 189 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900), Naval officer; second son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 69 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 103 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal and Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 132 portraits.
- Catherine Frances (nee Elliot), Lady Drummond (died 1914), Wife of Sir James Robert Drummond; daughter of Sir George Eliot. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Sir James Robert Drummond (1812-1895), Admiral. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Hon. Margaret Alice Drummond (1841-1875), Daughter of 9th Viscount Strathallan. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 387 portraits.
- Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (nee Elliot) (died 1894), Wife of Hon. William Nassau Jocelyn; daughter of Sir George Elliot. Sitter associated with 6 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Sir George Augustus Elliot (1813-1901), Admiral; writer and politician. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Mary Elliot (active 1860s), Relation of Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (nee Elliot). Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Eugenie, Empress of France (`Eugenie de Montijo?) (1826-1920), Queen consort of Napoleon III, Emperor of France. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882), Italian soldier; played central role in unification of Italy. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Robert Stayner Holford (1808-1892), Art and plant collector. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Hon. Charles Hugh Lindsay (1816-1889), Army officer and politician; son of 24th Earl of Crawford. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Princess Marie Clotilde Bonaparte (1843-1911), Wife of Prince Napoleon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte; daughter of Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Napoleon III, Emperor of France (1808-1873), Reigned 1852-70. Sitter in 31 portraits.
- Prince Napoleon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte (1822-1891), Son of Jerome Bonaparte and Catharina of Wurttemberg; cousin of Napoleon III; husband of Clotilde of Savoy. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Elizabeth Georgina Frances (nee Elliot), Countess of Northesk (died 1933), Wife of 9th Earl of Northesk; daughter of Sir George Augustus Elliot. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Emily Mary ('Amelia') (nee Lamb), Viscountess Palmerston (1787-1869), Political hostess; wife of 3rd Viscount Palmerston. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Adelaide Ristori (1822-1906), Actress. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- John Russell, 1st Earl Russell (1792-1878), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 224 portraits.
- Ian Charles Ogilvie-Grant, 8th Earl of Seafield (1851-1884), Son of 7th Earl of Seafield. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Christina Maria Hersey (nee Baird), Viscountess Strathallan (died 1867), Wife of 9th Viscount Strathallan; daughter of Robert Baird. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Hon. Fanny Charlotte Tomline (nee Gage) (1830-1883), Wife of William Tomline; daughter of 4th Viscount Gage. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- William Tomline (died 1883), Captain. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 487 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Horace Wigan (1815 or 1816-1885), Actor and playwright; brother of Alfred Sydney Wigan. Sitter associated with 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG x74324: Eugenie, Empress of France (`Eugenie de Montijo?) (source portrait)
- NPG Ax128994: Cecilia Mary Jocelyn (nee Elliot) (source portrait)
- NPG Ax128908: Mary Elliot (source portrait)
- NPG x74578: Princess Marie Clotilde Bonaparte; Prince Napoleon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte (source portrait)
- NPG Ax24143: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (source portrait)
Portrait setback to top
Related shop items
- Famous Faces Playing Cards
- Monarchs Ruler
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Camille Silvy: Photographer of Modern Life 1834-1910 catalogue (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790 (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- Monarchs poster
- Queen Victoria decoration