1 portrait of Anne Boleyn
after Hans Holbein the Younger
line engraving, probably 18th century
6 5/8 in. x 3 7/8 in. (169 mm x 100 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543). Artist associated with 314 portraits, Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Events of 1700back to top
Current affairsThe sudden death of Prince William, son of Princess Anne and George, Prince of Denmark, triggers a succession crisis. His birth had secured the succession of the crown to a Protestant, safeguarding the throne from any future claim by James II's Catholic son, James Francis.
Art and scienceDramatist, William Congreve's comedy The Way of the World premieres at Lincoln's Inn Theatre, receiving a mixed reception. It would achieve greater literary acclaim in modern times. Poet, John Dryden, dies and is buried in Geoffrey Chaucer's grave in Westminster Abbey.
InternationalDiplomat and poet, Matthew Prior, secretly negotiates with Louis XIV, king of France, a second partition treaty concerning the Spanish Empire. However, following the death of Spanish ruler, Carlos II, the agreement collapses since neither Spanish or Austrian governments accept the treaty's proposals.
Related shop items
- Tudor Stacking Dolls
- The Six Wives of Henry VIII Coaster Set
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Anne Boleyn Fridge Magnet
- Anne Boleyn Cushion
- Anne Boleyn Pearl Necklace
- Anne Boleyn Decoration
- The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits
- Anne Boleyn Keyring
- Anne Boleyn by Unknown artist Postcards
- Henry VIII & His Court Postcard Pack