4 of 9 portraits of Katherine Parr
by Cornelis Martinus Vermeulen, after Adriaen van der Werff
line engraving, late 17th century
12 1/2 in. x 7 3/8 in. (318 mm x 186 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Events of 1670back to top
Current affairsCharles II mistress, Barbara Villiers, is created Duchess of Cleveland and granted Nonsuch Palace including its sizeable grounds. Actress and royal mistress, Nell Gwyn, gives birth to Charles II's son, Charles, who would later become, Duke of St. Albans.
Art and scienceTragicomedy, The Forc'd Marriage, by Aphra Behn, staged by the Duke's Company, starts Behn's career as a professional writer. The writer may have been a royalist spy towards the end of the interregnum. Poet laureate, John Dryden, is made historiographer royal, a post he would hold for nearly 20 years.
InternationalTerms of a secret treaty between Charles II and Louis XIV are brought by Henrietta, Duchess of Orleans during a visit to Dover; upon England supplying the majority of military power for a war against Holland and Charles's official conversion to Catholicism, France would assist financially.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- Tudor Stacking Dolls
- The Six Wives of Henry VIII Coaster Set
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Catherine Parr Cushion
- Katherine Parr by Unknown artist Postcards
- Henry VIII & His Court Postcard Pack