by David Wedgbury
resin print, 1966
10 5/8 in. x 10 1/2 in. (269 mm x 267 mm) image size
Given by David Wedgbury, 1994
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Alastair Ian ('Al') Stewart (1945-), Singer, songwriter and musician. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- David Wedgbury (1937-1998), Photographer. Artist of 36 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1966back to top
Current affairsThe English football team wins against West Germany at the World Cup Final in Wembley.144 people, including 116 children, die in the Aberfan disaster when a colliery waste tip slides down a mountain in Wales.Ian Brady and Myra Hindly are sentence to life imprisonment for the brutal Moors Murders.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard's first play Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead premiers. This absurdist play uses two minor characters from Hamlet to explore the existential themes of free will verses determinism and the futility of language.Seamus Heany publishes his first volume of poems, Death of a Naturalist.
InternationalThe Cultural Revolution is launched in China in order to bring Chinese culture and society in line with communist ideals. It was also, however, an attempt by Mao Zedong to regain control of the country after the mistakes of the Great Leap Forward.Archbishop of Canterbury, Arthur Michael Ramsey meets Pope Paul VI, the first official meeting between the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches for 400 years.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Mick Jagger by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Who (Pete Townshend; Keith Moon; Roger Daltrey; John Entwistle) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers (John Mayall; John McVie; Hughie Flint) and Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- Eric Patrick Clapton by David Wedgbury mounted print
- The Animals (John Steel; Chas Chandler; Eric Victor Burdon; Dave Rowberry; Hilton Stewart Paterson Valentine) by David Wedgbury mounted print
- David Bowie by David Wedgbury mounted print