King Edward VI
8 of 47 portraits of King Edward VI
King Edward VI
possibly by William Faithorne
line engraving, probably 17th century
4 1/4 in. x 2 3/4 in. (108 mm x 70 mm) plate size; 5 1/4 in. x 4 in. (134 mm x 103 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- William Faithorne (circa 1620-1691), Engraver and draughtsman. Artist associated with 719 portraits, Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
Events of 1600back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex is put on trial for failing to put an end to the rebellion in Ireland, attempting to negotiate a truce with the rebel leader Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and deserting his post. Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, replaces Essex as Lord Deputy of Ireland.The East India Company receives its Royal Charter by Queen Elizabeth I.Birth of Prince Charles in Scotland (later King Charles I).
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Hamlet.The scientist William Gilbert writes De magnete ('on the magnet'), which pioneers research into the properties of the lodestone (magnetic iron ore) and introduces the terms 'electricity' and 'magnetic pole'. The miniature painter Nicholas Hilliard works on his painting treatise The Art of Limning at this time.
InternationalHenry IV of France marries Marie de Medici from the powerful ruling family of Florence, Italy. The Italian astronomer, philosopher and mathematician Giordano Bruno is sentenced to death by the Roman Inquisition and burned at the stake for heresy.Following the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu seizes control of Japan at the Battle of Sekigahara.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Edward VI Cushion
- King Edward VI by Workshop associated with 'Master John' Postcards