King Edward VI
20 of 47 portraits of King Edward VI
King Edward VI
by Robert White
line engraving, 1681
9 5/8 in. x 6 1/2 in. (243 mm x 165 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Robert White (1645-1703), Engraver. Artist associated with 607 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1681back to top
Current affairsThird Exclusion Parliament meets in Oxford avoiding disruption in Whig-dominated London. Charles II refuses Exclusionists's proposal that James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, his illegitimate son with Lucy Walter, should succeed to the throne, replacing James, Duke of York. Prominent Exclusionist, Anthony Ashley-Cooper, is arrested on suspicion of high treason.
Art and scienceNatural philosopher, Samuel Morland is appointed 'Master of Mechanicks' to the king having transformed Windsor Castle's water system. Architect, Christopher Wren, is commissioned to design the Royal Hospital, Chelsea.Poet laureate, John Dryden, writes political satire Absalom and Achitophel, focusing upon the trial of Anthony Ashley-Cooper.
InternationalKing of France, Louis XIV, concerned by England's instability over the exclusion crisis, offers Charles II a subsidy, bolstering the king in his dealings with Parliament. In return, England agrees to withdraw from entering an anti-French alliance with Spain; Laurence Hyde, Lord of the Treasury, signs the accord with France.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Edward VI Cushion
- King Edward VI by Workshop associated with 'Master John' Postcards