King Henry VIII
12 of 97 portraits of King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
by Cornelis Metsys (Massys)
line engraving, 1545
6 3/4 in. x 5 in. (170 mm x 127 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (1508 or 1510-after 1580). Artist associated with 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This print was first produced in 1544 and again the year after Henry's death. The full frontal pose probably derives in part from Hans Holbein's portrait of Henry, first painted 1536 -7.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Henry VIII Remembered (20 December 2008 - 12 July 2009)
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1545back to top
Current affairsThe French fleet makes an invasion attempt on England. The pride of the English fleet, the Mary Rose warship is sunk during the engagement with the French, killing over seven hundred men.
Art and scienceThe artist John Bettes the Elder paints A Man in a Black Cap. The artist's nationality is emphasized in the inscription faict par Johan Bettes Anglois (made by John Bettes, Englishman).
The Dutch artist William Scrots arrives in England and becomes the principal court painter.
The first botanical garden in Europe is established in the University of Padua.
InternationalThe Council of Trent convenes. Summoned by Pope Paul III and running until 1563, the council reasserts the doctrines of the Catholic Church in answer to the Protestant Reformation. It is one of the principal events of the Counter-Reformation.
- Henry VIII Remembered
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
28 October, 12:30