by Howard Coster
solarised print, 1954
8 in. x 5 7/8 in. (203 mm x 150 mm) image size
Given by the estate of Howard Coster, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Egerton Christmas Piper (1903-1992), Artist and writer. Sitter in 59 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9346 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.
InternationalThe South East Asia Treaty Organisation (SEATO) is established in Bangkok. This international defence organisation was established as part of the 'containment' policy of limiting the influence of communism. SEATO was, however, found to be ineffective as the member organisations failed to agree on combined action; it was disbanded in 1977.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary