© National Portrait Gallery, London
Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk
by Jacobus Houbraken, after Hans Eworth Click on the links below to find out more
line engraving, 1735
14 3/8 in. x 9 1/4 in. (366 mm x 235 mm) plate size; 16 in. x 10 5/8 in. (405 mm x 270 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
- Hans Eworth (active 1540-died 1574). Artist associated with 25 portraits.
- Jacobus Houbraken (1698-1780), Engraver. Artist associated with 432 portraits.
- NPG D38984: Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk (from same plate)
- NPG D38985: Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk (from same plate)
- NPG D42868: Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk (from same plate)
Second Parliament under George III. Robert Walpole maintains a substantial majority. Lord Bolingbroke gives up active opposition to Walpole and retires to France. Walpole moves into 10 Downing Street.Welsh Methodist revival begins.
Art and science
Celebrated dandy Richard 'Beau' Nash appoints himself Master of Ceremonies at Tunbridge Wells.William Hogarth founds the second St Martin's Lane Academy of Painting. Lawyer and amateur meteorologist George Hadley publishes the first explanation of the trade winds
Swedish naturalist Carolus Linnaeus publishes a 'system of nature', capable of classifying all living things.Swedish chemist Georg Brandt discovers a new metallic element, which he names cobalt.A revivalist movement in America, led by Jonathan Edwards, becomes known as the Great Awakening.Composer Johann Sebastian Bach debuts his Ascension Oratorio