Queen Elizabeth I
Queen Elizabeth I
after Unknown artist
photograph of painting, before 1914 (circa 1575)
17 7/8 in. x 12 3/4 in. (453 mm x 323 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 128 portraits.
Events of 1900back to top
Current affairsThe Conservatives return to power, after the Prime Minister Lord Salisbury calls a general election, known as the 'Khaki election', on the back of huge jingoistic support for the Boer War. The Labour Representation Committee (LRC) is founded from a coalition of socialist groups; they win two seats in the 1900 election and Ramsay Macdonald is appointed secretary. The Labour politician Keir Hardie is also returned to Parliament for Merthyr Tydfilin Wales.
Art and scienceGerman physicist Max Planck proposes the concept of the quantum theory. Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams is published. In the text, Freud outlines his theory of dream analysis, crucial to the study of the unconscious, and introduces key concepts in psychoanalysis, such as the Ego. The Paris International Exhibition, attended by more than 50 million people and including over 76,000 exhibitors, marks the heyday of Art Nouveau.
InternationalIn China the Boxer rebellion takes place. The Boxers were anti-imperialist and against foreign influence in trade, religion, politics and technology in the final years of the Manchu rule. The Boxers invade Beijing, killing 230 foreigners and Chinese Christians. The rebellion is suppressed by a multinational coalition of 20,000 troops, with China being forced to pay large war reparations, contributing to growing nationalist resentment against the Qing dynasty.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- WebQuest: Elizabeth I's New Portrait
- WebQuest: Painting Elizabeth I
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- WebQuest: Famous People Guy Fawkes
- Concealed and Revealed:
The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project