5 of 46 portraits of Audrey Hepburn
by Bassano Ltd
bromide print, 1951
6 5/8 in. x 4 3/4 in. (167 mm x 120 mm) image size
Given by Terence Pepper, 2007
Click on the links below to find out more:
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 78 Wigmore Street, London)
Events of 1951back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Party wins the general election and Winston Churchill returns for a second term as prime minister.
Art and scienceOn the centenary of the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Festival of Britain is held as a nationwide celebration of British culture, and as an impetus for post-war regeneration. As well as various art, science and industrial exhibitions and events, a major regeneration project was initiated for the South Bank area of London under the directorship of the architect, Hugh Casson.
InternationalLibya declares its sovereignty from Italian rule, becoming the first independent state to be created by the UN.
At the Treaty of San Francisco, 48 nations sign a peace treaty with Japan, officially ending the Pacific War - the last battleground of the Second World War.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856
- Gaiety Girls
- British Blondes
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- The World's Most Photographed
- Terry O'Neill: Celebrity