by Bernard Lee ('Bern') Schwartz
dye transfer print, 24 May 1977
11 in. x 8 7/8 in. (278 mm x 227 mm)
Given by Bernard Lee Schwartz Foundation, 2007
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts), Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven (1925-2013), Prime Minister. Sitter in 39 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bernard Lee ('Bern') Schwartz (1914-1978), Photographer. Artist of 143 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 237
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Bern Schwartz: Portraits of the 1970s (10 July 2008 - 14 January 2009)
Events of 1977back to top
Current affairsIn celebration of her 25th year as Queen, Elizabeth II tours the British Isles visiting communities and schools in 36 counties, before touring the commonwealth. Across the country people held street parties to celebrate the occasion; there were 4,000 street parties in London alone.
Art and scienceBritish punk rockers, The Sex Pistols, release the single, God Save The Queen to coincide with the Silvery Jubilee celebrations. The single reached Number 2 in the charts among claims that it was being kept off the top spot for political reasons. The band was arrested for trying to perform the song from a boat on the Thames during the Queen's Royal Progress trip down the river.
InternationalElvis Presley dies of a heart attack aged 42. His body was discovered collapsed on the bathroom floor of his Graceland mansion in Memphis by his fiancée Ginger Alden. Rumours that the star is actually still alive but in hiding continue to perpetuate among diehard fans.
- Lecture: Margaret Thatcher: A Life and Legacy
6 July, 19:00