'James I and his royal progeny'
1 of 5 portraits of Prince Louis
'James I and his royal progeny'
by Charles Turner, published by Samuel Woodburn, after Willem de Passe
mezzotint, published 1814
13 1/2 in. x 17 1/2 in. (342 mm x 444 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Anne of Denmark (1574-1619), Queen of James I. Sitter associated with 45 portraits.
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 334 portraits.
- Charles Lewis (Louis), Elector Palatine (1618-1680), Second son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- Elizabeth, Princess of the Palatinate (1618-1680), Abbess; Daughter of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
- Frederick V, King of Bohemia and Elector Palatine (1596-1632), Calvinist and son-in-law of James I. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Frederick Henry, Prince of the Palatinate (1614-1629), Eldest son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Henry, Prince of Wales (1594-1612), Eldest son of James I. Sitter in 42 portraits.
- King James I of England and VI of Scotland (1566-1625), Reigned Scotland 1567-1625 and England 1603-25. Sitter associated with 198 portraits.
- Prince Louis (circa 1624-circa 1625), Son of Frederick V and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Louise Hollandine, Princess Palatine (1622-1709), Abbess of Maubisson; daughter of Frederick V and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Princess Mary (1605-1607), Daughter of James I. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Maurice, Prince Palatine (1621-1652), Fourth son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Prince Rupert, Count Palatine (1619-1682), Soldier and patron of science; son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 45 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Princess Sophia (1607-1607), Daughter of James I. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1814back to top
Current affairsPrincess Caroline leaves England for a lengthy series of travels in Europe and the Middle East. Scandalous gossip promptly surrounds her relationship with her Italian valet, Count Bartholomew Bergami.George, Prince Regent, hosts a visit of the victorious allies to England with spectacular celebrations and fireworks at Carlton House.
Art and scienceJohn Soane completes the construction of Dulwich Picture Gallery.First steam printing machine in the world is used to publish The Times.New Royal Mint opens at Tower Hill with improved precision machinery.Grand Western Canal completed from Loudwell to Tiverton.
InternationalParis falls under allied attack; Napoleon sent into exile on Elba.Force of British veterans lands at Chesapeake Bay, defeats Americans at Bladensburg and burns parts of Washington DC.Peace treaty signed with Americans in Ghent. General Pakenham is killed leading attack on New Orleans before news of the peace reaches America.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Companion Series: Pepys and his Contemporaries
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- The Lost Prince: The Life and Death of Henry Stuart catalogue (hardcover)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- King James I greetings card