The Howard Family
1 portrait of Aletheia Talbot, Countess of Arundel
The Howard Family
by George Vertue, after Sir Anthony van Dyck
line engraving, 1743
16 5/8 in. x 21 5/8 in. (423 mm x 550 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Aletheia (née Talbot), Countess of Arundel and Surrey (circa 1590-1654), Heiress and patron of art; wife of Thomas Howard. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Thomas Howard, 14th Earl of Arundel, 4th Earl of Surrey and 1st Earl of Norfolk (1585-1646), Patron of art and collector. Sitter associated with 68 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1743back to top
Current affairsHenry Pelham becomes Prime Minister, following the death of Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington.
Last wolf in the British Isles is reputedly killed in Scotland.
Second Gin Act further attempts to deal with the widespread abuse of gin.
Art and sciencePortrait-painter Michael Dahl dies.
Physician and cartographer Christopher Packe produces the first geological map of south-east England.
Final edition of Alexander Pope's literary satire The Dunciad is published.
InternationalWar of the Austrian Succession: Battle of Dettingen is fought in Bavaria. King George II leads the troops to victory over the French; the last time a British monarch participates in a battle. George Frideric Handel writes the oratorio Dettingen Te Deum in celebration. Treaty of Worms signed between Great Britain, Austria and Sardinia. France and Spain form the Alliance of Fontainebleau with the aim of recapturing Gibraltar from Britain.
Exhibitions and displays
- Gallery Talk: Julian Opie after Van Dyck (Session 2)
23 November, 18:30
- BSL Gallery Tour: Julian Opie after Van Dyck
30 November, 19:30
- Gallery Talk: Julian Opie after Van Dyck (Session 1)
23 November, 19:30
- Lunchtime Lecture: White King: the tragedy of Charles I
18 January 2018, 13:15