Clement Attlee and Prime Ministers at the Commonwealth Conference
1 portrait of Albert Victor Alexander, Earl Alexander of Hillsborough
Clement Attlee and Prime Ministers at the Commonwealth Conference
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate glass negative, 11 October 1948
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Christopher Addison, 1st Viscount Addison (1869-1951), Statesman. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- Albert Victor Alexander, Earl Alexander of Hillsborough (1885-1965), Politician, First Lord of the Admiralty and Minister of Defence. Sitter in 31 portraits.
- Clement Richard Attlee, 1st Earl Attlee (1883-1967), Prime Minister. Sitter in 47 portraits.
- Sir Girja Shankar Bajpai (1891-1954), Indian politician and Governor of Bombay. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- John Albert Beasley (1895-1949), High Commissioner for Australia in London since 1946. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Neville Rennie Bertram (1909-1974), Rhodesian politician. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Ernest Bevin (1881-1951), General Secretary of the Transport and General Workers Union and politician; MP for Wandsworth Central and Woolwich East. Sitter associated with 59 portraits.
- Herbert Cole Coombs (1906-1997), Director-General of Post-War Reconstruction in Australia. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir (Richard) Stafford Cripps (1889-1952), Statesman. Sitter in 42 portraits.
- (Edward) Hugh John Neale Dalton, Baron Dalton (1887-1962), Labour politician and economist. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Leif Egeland (1903-1996), Politician and High Commissioner for South Africa. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Herbert Vere Evatt (1894-1965), Australian judge and politician. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Bruce Austin Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of North Cape (1888-1981), Admiral of the Fleet. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Peter Fraser (1884-1950), Prime Minister of New Zealand. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Kenneth MacKenzie Goodenough (1891-1985), High Commissioner for Rhodesia. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Sir Oliver Ernest Goonetilleke (1892-1978), Governor-General of Ceylon. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Patrick Chrestien Gordon Walker, Baron Gordon-Walker (1907-1980), Foreign Secretary and author. Sitter in 56 portraits.
- Sir Leslie Chasemore ('Jo') Hollis (1897-1963), General, company director and author. Sitter in 15 portraits.
- Sir William Joseph Jordan (1879-1959), New Zealand politician; High Commissioner to Great Britain. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Liaquat Ali Khan (1895-1951), Prime Minister of Pakistan. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Vengalil Krishnan Krishna Menon (1896-1974), Statesman and Lawyer. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Sir (John) Gilbert Laithwaite (1894-1986), Politician and diplomat. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Eric Hendrik Louw (1890-1968), South African Politician. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Sir Eric Gustav Machtig (1889-1973), Under-Secretary of State for Commonwealth Relations. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Sir Alister Donald McIntosh (1906-1978), New Zealand politician and statesman. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Godfrey Martin Huggins, 1st Viscount Malvern of Rhodesia and Bexley (1883-1971), Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Bernard Law Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein (1887-1976), Field Marshal. Sitter in 49 portraits.
- Herbert Stanley Morrison, Baron Morrison of Lambeth (1888-1965), Politician; Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary and Deputy Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 97 portraits.
- W.C. Naudé, South African politician. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Jawaharlal Nehru (1889-1964), First Prime Minister of India; son of Pandit Motilal Nehru. Sitter associated with 18 portraits.
- Philip John Noel-Baker, Baron Noel-Baker (1889-1982), Academic, diplomat, middle distance runner; Olympian and Labour politician; MP for Coventry, Derby and Derby South. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- Norman Craven Brook, Baron Normanbrook (1902-1967), Secretary of the cabinet. Sitter in 22 portraits.
- John Whitney ('Jack') Pickersgill (1905-1997), Canadian civil servant and politician. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Norman Alexander Robertson (1904-1968), Canadian High Commissioner in London and diplomat. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Louis Stephen St-Laurent (1882-1973), Prime Minister of Canada. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Don Stephen Senanayake (1884-1952), Prime Minister of Ceylon. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Arthur William Tedder, 1st Baron Tedder (1890-1967), Marshal of the Royal Air Force and Chancellor of the University of Cambridge. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Sir Kanthiah Vaithianathan (1896-1965), Sri Lankan Politician. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir Muhammad Zafrulla Khan (1893-1985), Politician and President of the International Court of Justice. Sitter in 6 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (garden, 10 Downing Street, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1948back to top
Current affairsPrince Charles is born in Buckingham Palace; he is the first son of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of EdinburghThe Secretary of State for Health, Aneurin Bevan, introduces the National Health Service. Health services in Britain were now funded from central taxation and free at the point of use for every resident of the country.
Art and scienceThe First Morris Minor car designed by Alec Issigonis and his team (also responsible for the Mini) takes to the road, becoming a popular and classic English design.F.R. Leavis publishes his influential study of the English novel, The Great Tradition. The book set out Leavis's ideas on the proper relationship between literary form and moral concern.
InternationalThe policy of Apartheid is adopted in South Africa. Apartheid was a set of laws allowing racial segregation and discrimination against the black majority by the white ruling class.As part of the dispute between Western and Soviet controlled Berlin, the Soviet Union blockades West Berlin, cutting off supplies. Anxious to avoid a conflict, America, Britain and France responded by flying in food and other provisions.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and his legacy - 1860 - 1960
- Maurice and Walton by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Elaine Vernon and Danny Fer by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Marjorie Dolman and Dorothy Dolman by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ivy Shilling and Fred Hobson Leslie by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ethel Walters by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Prime Ministers Mug