17 of 95 portraits of Charles Dickens
by (George) Herbert Watkins
albumen stereoscopic card, 29 April 1858
3 1/4 in. x 6 7/8 in. (84 mm x 174 mm) overall
Given by Jane Souter Hipkins, 1930
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- (George) Herbert Watkins (1828-after 1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 260 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Characters and Caricatures: Photographs by Herbert Watkins (3 June 2013 - 17 November 2013)
Events of 1858back to top
Current affairsAfter Palmerstone's government collapses, the Earl of Derby becomes Prime Minister for second time, again heading a minority government. The Property qualification for MPs is abolished; one of the demands made by the Chartists, this allowed men who did not own property to stand as parliamentary candidates. Lionel Nathan Rothschild becomes the first Jew to sit in Britain's House of Commons, taking his oath on the Old Testament.
Art and scienceThe pianist Charles Hallé founds a symphony orchestra in Manchester, the Halle; now Britain's oldest professional orchestra. The Hallé symphony rose to prominence in the mid-20th century, under the tenure of conductor John Barbirolli, during which time they made many recordings, including Ralph Vaughan Williams's Symphony No. 8.
InternationalThe British Crown assumes control of India from the East India Company.The Treaty of Tientsin, ending the Second Opium War, gives European powers new rights to intervene in Chinese affairsThe Fenian Brotherhood is founded by John O'Mahony, an Irish emigrant to the United States, to support Irish republican ambitions.
- Lecture: Charles Dickens and His Circle
10 March, 19:00
Related shop items
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Charles Dickens Bust
- Dickens Magnetic Poetry Kit