Queen Victoria and family
1 portrait of Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Russia
© reserved; collection National Portrait Gallery, London
Queen Victoria and family
by Robert Milne
bromide print, circa 1898
6 1/4 in. x 8 in. (160 mm x 203 mm) image size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine (1895-1903), Great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Victoria Eugenie ('Ena') of Battenberg, Queen of Spain (1887-1969), Queen consort to Alfonso XIII of Spain; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 53 portraits.
- Prince Maurice Victor Donald of Battenberg (1891-1914), Soldier; grandson of Queen Victoria; son of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 524 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Princess Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1870-1948), Daughter of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 35 portraits.
- Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Russia (1876-1936), Former wife of Ernest Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, and later wife of Grand-Duke Kirill of Russia; daughter of Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter in 17 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Aberdeenshire (Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Events of 1898back to top
Current affairsThe UK Parliament passes the Irish Local Government Act, which establishes a mixed system of local government in Ireland similar to that in Great Britain, notably creating new, directly elected county councils, and extending the electoral franchise to include all male householders and occupiers. Charles Pelham Villiers, Britain's longest-serving Member of Parliament, dies. Villiers entered Parliament in 1835 as Liberal MP for Wolverhampton.
Art and scienceThe French physicists Pierre and Marie Curie discover the strongly radioactive elements polonium and radium, paving the way for cancer therapy and nuclear physics. H.G. Wells's highly influential science fiction novellaThe War of the World is published, describing an invasion of England by aliens from Mars.
InternationalThe Spanish-American war takes place after Spain fails to meet America's demands to peacefully resolve the Cuban fight for independence. America secures victory after a series of quick naval and military victories in the Philippines and Cuba. Later this year, the Treaty of Paris gives the US ownership of the former Spanish colonies of Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam, the US also taking control of Cuba, ending the uprising and granting independence.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card