Sir Thomas Overbury
13 of 18 portraits of Sir Thomas Overbury
Sir Thomas Overbury
by Silvester Harding, or by Edward Harding, published by E. & S. Harding, after Unknown artist
stipple engraving, published 1796
7 1/2 in. x 5 3/8 in. (190 mm x 138 mm) plate size; 9 in. x 7 in. (228 mm x 179 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Overbury (1581-1613), Poet and courtier. Sitter associated with 18 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Edward Harding (1755-1840), Engraver, publisher and librarian to Queen Charlotte. Artist associated with 186 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- E. & S. Harding (active 1786-before 1798), Publishers. Artist associated with 92 portraits.
- Silvester Harding (1745-1809), Artist; publisher. Artist associated with 217 portraits.
- Unknown artist. Artist associated with 6429 portraits.
Events of 1796back to top
Current affairsBirth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and scienceFanny Burney publishes Camilla, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
InternationalNapoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 16 March 2018
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July