© National Portrait Gallery, London
Royal family group
by James Russell & Sons Click on the links below to find out more
albumen cabinet card, August 1876
5 7/8 in. x 4 in. (149 mm x 101 mm) image size
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 471 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), Reigned 1863-1906; father of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 498 portraits.
- Louise, Queen of Denmark (1817-1898), Wife of Christian IX, King of Denmark; mother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Thyra, Crown Princess of Hanover and Duchess of Cumberland and Teviotdale (1853-1933), Wife of Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover and 3rd Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale; daughter of Christian IX, King of Denmark; sister of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 16 portraits.
Following the introduction of the Royal Titles Act, Queen Victoria is proclaimed Empress of India, with Disraeli deliberately flattering Victoria's imperialist ambitions. In turn, Victoria creates Disraeli Earl of Beaconsfield; he continues to run government from the Lords.
Art and science
The classical-subject painter Lawrence Alma-Tadema, famous for his elegant depictions of the Roman Empire, paints An Audience at Agrippa's
.US inventor Alexander Graham Bell invents and patents the telephone following research into vocal physiology and speech instruction for the deaf, after discovering that sound could be transmitted and reconverted through an electric wire by using a continuous electric current.
15,000 Bulgarian Christians are slaughtered by Turkish troops in retaliation for the killing of 300 Turks in Batak at the start of the Bulgarian uprising. The Turkish government practices further repression by compulsorily transferring people of other ethnicities to Bulgaria to make the Bulgarians a minority. Gladstone published a pamphlet The Bulgarian Horrors and the Question of the East
attacking Turkish actions, selling 200,000 copies in a month.