1 portrait on display in Room 35 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Dean Marsh
oil on plywood panel, 2008
30 in. (763 mm) diameter
Commissioned as part of the First Prize, BP Portrait Award, 2005, 2008
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Camila Batmanghelidjh (1963-), Psychotherapist; founder of Kids Company. Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Winner of the BP Portrait Award in 2005, Marsh was drawn to the sitter's distinctive dress style and found inspiration in the portraits of the nineteenth-century French artist Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres. The sitter hopes that this portrait will encourage children to follow their dreams, 'no matter what the struggle.'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Aileen Ribeiro with Cally Blackman, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 22
- Howgate, Sarah; Nairne, Sandy, A Guide to Contemporary Portraits, 2009, p. 39
- Nairne, Sandy (introduction), 500 Portraits: BP Portrait Award, 2011, p. 30
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 274