17 of 49 portraits of George Monck, 1st Duke of Albemarle
sold by John Clark
line engraving, late 17th century
8 1/2 in. x 6 3/8 in. (215 mm x 162 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford, 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Clark (1683-1736), Writing-master, engraver and printseller in Gray's Inn. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- George Monck, 1st Duke of Albemarle (1608-1670), Soldier and statesman. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
- Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), Queen of Charles II. Sitter associated with 62 portraits.
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 292 portraits.
- King James II (1633-1701), Reigned 1685-8. Sitter associated with 128 portraits.
- James Scott, Duke of Monmouth and Buccleuch (1649-1685), Son of Charles II and Lucy Walter. Sitter associated with 43 portraits.
- Prince Rupert, Count Palatinate (1619-1682), Soldier and patron of science; Son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 45 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 139 portraits.
Exhibitions and displays
- Cornelius Johnson: Charles I’s Forgotten Painter
Until 13 September