1 portrait of King William III
sold by John Clark
line engraving, late 17th century
8 1/2 in. x 6 3/8 in. (215 mm x 162 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Clark (1683-1736), Writing-master, engraver and printseller in Gray's Inn. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- George Monck, 1st Duke of Albemarle (1608-1670), Soldier and statesman. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
- Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), Queen of Charles II. Sitter associated with 63 portraits.
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 294 portraits.
- King James II (1633-1701), Reigned 1685-88. Sitter associated with 132 portraits.
- James Scott, Duke of Monmouth and Buccleuch (1649-1685), Son of Charles II and Lucy Walter. Sitter associated with 42 portraits.
- Prince Rupert, Count Palatine (1619-1682), Soldier and patron of science; son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 45 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 140 portraits.
Events of 1670back to top
Current affairsCharles II mistress, Barbara Villiers, is created Duchess of Cleveland and granted Nonsuch Palace including its sizeable grounds. Actress and royal mistress, Nell Gwyn, gives birth to Charles II's son, Charles, who would later become, Duke of St. Albans.
Art and scienceTragicomedy, The Forc'd Marriage, by Aphra Behn, staged by the Duke's Company, starts Behn's career as a professional writer. The writer may have been a royalist spy towards the end of the interregnum. Poet laureate, John Dryden, is made historiographer royal, a post he would hold for nearly 20 years.
InternationalTerms of a secret treaty between Charles II and Louis XIV are brought by Henrietta, Duchess of Orleans during a visit to Dover; upon England supplying the majority of military power for a war against Holland and Charles's official conversion to Catholicism, France would assist financially.
- Lunchtime Lecture: Ivan Meštrović , Croatian Sculptor and his portraits
17 November, 13:15
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Companion Series: Pepys and his Contemporaries
- King Charles II Magnetic Frame
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- Pets in Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster