5 of 5 portraits of Roger Taylor (Roger Meddows-Taylor)
by Michael David ('Mick') Rock
C-type colour print, 1974
14 3/8 in. x 14 1/2 in. (365 mm x 370 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- John Deacon (1951-), Musician, member of Queen. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Brian Harold May (1947-), Musician; guitarist for Queen and astrophysicist. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Freddie Mercury (Faroukh Bulsara) (1946-1991), Vocalist, member of the band Queen. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Roger Taylor (Roger Meddows-Taylor) (1949-), Musician; drummer for Queen. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hoare, Philip; Pepper, Terence, Icons of Pop, 1999 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 4 June -19 September 1999), p. 44
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 740
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Creative Connections 2014 (17 June 2014 - 21 September 2014)
Events of 1974back to top
Current affairs28 people are killed and hundreds injured in the IRA pub bombings. Two pubs in Guilford popular with army personnel were attacked with gelignite bombs, followed by a pub in Woolwich and then two in Birmingham. 17 people, known as the Guilford Four, the Maguire Seven and the Birmingham Six, were arrested for the bombing but all were eventually found to have been wrongfully imprisoned.
Art and scienceJohn Le Carré publishes his classic spy thriller, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The novel was later made into a BBC miniseries starring Alec Guinness.
InternationalA one party communist state is established in Ethiopia after a committee of military officers known as the Derg depose Halie Selassie from power.
Greek Cypriot officers depose President Archbishop Makarios III in a coup d'etat sponsored by the Greek Government. Taking advantage of the situation, Turkey sent troops to occupy half the island, proclaiming the Turkish Federal State of Cyprus the following year.