1 portrait of John Archer
after Unknown artist
etching, late 17th century
5 3/8 in. x 3 5/8 in. (137 mm x 92 mm)
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Archer (active 1660-died 1684), Physician to Charles II. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- EEBO (Early English Books Online), p. frontispiece
- Archer, John, fl. 1660-1684, Secrets disclosed, or, The treatise of consumptions, their various causes and cure shewing also how to distinguish between the scurvy and venereal disease and how to prevent and cure fistula by chymical drops without cutting ... : how to know and cure the different piles, haemorrhoids, issuings and other diseases of the private parts : treating also of the virtues of the great East-India cordial stone or powder called Antoinio : also the great force of magick and antipathy by a noble experiment, 1693, p. frontispiece
Events of 1670back to top
Current affairsCharles II mistress, Barbara Villiers, is created Duchess of Cleveland and granted Nonsuch Palace including its sizeable grounds. Actress and royal mistress, Nell Gwyn, gives birth to Charles II's son, Charles, who would later become, Duke of St. Albans.
Art and scienceTragicomedy, The Forc'd Marriage, by Aphra Behn, staged by the Duke's Company, starts Behn's career as a professional writer. The writer may have been a royalist spy towards the end of the interregnum. Poet laureate, John Dryden, is made historiographer royal, a post he would hold for nearly 20 years.
InternationalTerms of a secret treaty between Charles II and Louis XIV are brought by Henrietta, Duchess of Orleans during a visit to Dover; upon England supplying the majority of military power for a war against Holland and Charles's official conversion to Catholicism, France would assist financially.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
19 December, 12:30