George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw
by (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy)
whole-plate autochrome, 1936
Bequeathed by (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy), 1956
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Playwright. Sitter in 145 portraits, Artist associated with 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy) (1876-1955), Photographer. Artist associated with 422 portraits, Sitter in 17 portraits.
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
- Conquering England
- Born in 1856
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Joseph Joachim
- Only Connect - George Shaw <> Harriet Cohen
- Only Connect - Harriet Cohen <> George Shaw
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Yousuf Karsh
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Edwardian Women Photographers: Eveleen Myers, Alice Hughes, Christina Broom and Olive Edis
- Karsh: 50 Years of Photographs by Yousuf Karsh
- Jorge Lewinski
- Literati Photographs by Mark Gerson
- Rollie McKenna: Artists and Writers
- Johnny Dewe-Mathews