Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
16 of 30 portraits of Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
by John Faber Jr, printed and sold by Robert Sayer, printed and sold by John King, after John Vanderbank, after Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
mezzotint, circa 1719-1725
18 in. x 12 1/4 in. (457 mm x 310 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Sitter associated with 30 portraits, Artist associated with 1682 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Faber Jr (circa 1695-1756), Engraver and portrait and miniature painter. Artist associated with 816 portraits.
- John King (active 1698-1759), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 33 portraits.
- Robert Sayer (1724 or 1725-1794), Printseller and publisher. Artist associated with 196 portraits.
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1682 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- John Vanderbank (1694-1739), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 96 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1719back to top
Current affairsSpanish invasion of Scotland fails. British forces defeat an alliance of Jacobite and Spanish forces led by George Keith, 10th Earl Marischal, amongst others, at the Battle of Glen Shiel. South Sea Company proposes a scheme under which it will buy more than half of Britain's national debt in exchange for trading concessions.
Art and sciencePugilist James Figg claims to be the first English bare-knuckle boxing champion; a title he will hold until the 1730s.Eliza Haywood launches her writing career with the best-selling novel Love in Excess, recounting the amorous escapades of the rake Count D'Elmont. Daniel Defoe publishes his novel Robinson Crusoe.
InternationalWar of the Quadruple Alliance: French army under James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick invades the Basque provinces of Spain but suffers heavy losses due to disease. George Byng, 1st Viscount Torrington assists in the taking of Messina and destroys the remaining Spanish fleet. Prussia conducts Europe's first systematic census.Principality of Liechtenstein is created within the Holy Roman Empire.
- Portrait of the Day: Sir Isaac Newton
26 June, 12:30