2 of 5 portraits of Jean Ingelow
by Camille Silvy
albumen print, July 1865
3 1/4 in. x 2 1/4 in. (83 mm x 56 mm) image size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Jean Ingelow (1820-1897), Poet and writer; author of 'Orris'. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 7082 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Porchester Terrace, Bayswater, London)
Events of 1865back to top
Current affairsElizabeth Garrett Anderson is the first female to be awarded a doctor's licence. She is also involved in collecting signatures for the Manchester Suffrage Committee, the first suffrage organisation, formed this year. John Stuart Mill was also elected to parliament this year on the platform of women's suffrage.
Palmerston dies in October, and is replaced as leader of the Liberal government by his Foreign Secretary, Lord Russell.
Art and scienceLewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is published, inspired by Carroll's relationship (as Oxford don Sir Charles Dodgson) with his friend Henry George Liddell's daughter Alice.
Matthew Arnold publishes the first series of Essays in Criticism, a defining text in the development of English literature as an academic discipline.
InternationalIn the American civil war, Robert E. Lee surrenders the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia to Ulysses S. Grant, leading to the surrender of the Confederacy's remaining field armies. A few days later, US President Abraham Lincoln is shot dead by Confederate sympathiser John Wilkes Booth. Later this year slavery is officially abolished after years of fierce campaigning. In response, the first branch of the Ku Klux Klan is founded on Christmas Eve.
Exhibitions and displays
- More Real Than Life: 19th-century Portrait Photography
Until 24 September
The Barber Institute of Fine Arts, Birmingham
- Lecture: Through the glass Darkly - Black History and Portraiture
2 November, 19:00
- Lecture: Updating Jane Austen
16 November, 19:00