by (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy)
whole-plate autochrome, 1925
Bequeathed by (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy), 1956
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Augustine Birrell (1850-1933), Politician; MP for West Fife and Bristol North, barrister, academic and author. Sitter in 53 portraits.
Artistback to top
- (Mary) Olive Edis (Mrs Galsworthy) (1876-1955), Photographer. Artist associated with 422 portraits, Sitter in 17 portraits.
Events of 1925back to top
Current affairsOn the advice of the Governor of the Bank of England, Montagu Norman, Winston Churchill returns British currency to the Gold Standard. This caused deflation across the empire as the value of the pound returned to the pre-war gold price, leading to unemployment, the miners' strike and the general strike in 1926.
Art and scienceJohn Logie Baird transmits the first television images of a ventriloquist's dummy. The BBC used Logie Baird's invention from 1927 until 1935 when they adopted EMI-Marconi's superior electronic scanning system.Virginia Woolf publishes her innovative 'stream of consciousness' novel, Mrs Dalloway, which chronicles a day in the life of the protagonist through her interior monologue.
InternationalSir Joseph Austen Chamberlain, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs represents Britain at the Locarno Treaties. Lorcano secured the post-war territorial settlement and established pledges of non-aggression between various European Nations. The 'spirit of Locarno' helped secure Germany's admission into the League of Nations in 1926. Chamberlain was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his part in the peace agreement.
Exhibitions and displays
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Edwardian Women Photographers: Eveleen Myers, Alice Hughes, Christina Broom and Olive Edis
- Karsh: 50 Years of Photographs by Yousuf Karsh
- Jorge Lewinski
- Literati Photographs by Mark Gerson
- Rollie McKenna: Artists and Writers
- Johnny Dewe-Mathews