1 portrait of Barbara Hepworth
by Madame Yevonde
bromide print on velvet card mount, 15 February 1968
14 5/8 in. x 11 3/8 in. (373 mm x 288 mm) image size
Given by Madame Yevonde, 1971
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 320 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This is one of the photographs taken by Madame Yevonde for her exhibition Some Distinguished Women held in 1968 to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of Womens Suffrage. Surviving correspondence between Hepworth and Yevonde charts how they arranged to meet at Tate Gallery for the sitting, chose which pose to print and Hepworth's request that the variants be destroyed as she appeared in ill-health. Hepworth was recovering from a fractured hip suffered the previous year. She is seen here touching, almost holding Corinthos (1954-5), which was on display at the time. Her gesture directly referenced by the tactile quality of Yevonde's choice of a velvet mount.
Margaret Gardiner had taken Hepworth on a Greek cruise in August 1954 to recover after the trauma of her son's death the year before. Immediately after her return, inspired by the light and landscape, Hepworth worked on a series of wooden sculptures; Corinthos being the first. Carved from a single piece of guarea, a hardwood specially delivered from Nigeria, Hepworth worked the warm timber by tunnelling through the material in a double spiralling shape.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> T.S. Eliot
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- Goddesses and Others