4 of 10 portraits of Anna Zinkeisen
by Madame Yevonde
bromide print, 1936
14 5/8 in. x 11 5/8 in. (371 mm x 294 mm) image size
Given by Madame Yevonde, 1971
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anna Katrina Zinkeisen (1901-1976), Painter. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 320 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
Related shop items
- Madame Yevonde Quote Mini-canvas
- Madame Yevonde Quote Mini-print
- Madame Yevonde Quote Fridge Magnet
- Madame Yevonde Quote Tea Towel
- Madame Yevonde Quote Coaster
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Cats In Portraits Postcard Pack