© National Portrait Gallery, London
Adelina Patti as Lucia in 'Lucia de Lammermoor'
by Camille Silvy Click on the links below to find out more
albumen carte-de-visite, July 1861
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/4 in. (85 mm x 57 mm)
Given by an anonymous donor, 1947
- Adelina Patti (1843-1919), Singer; sister of Carlotta Patti. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 6083 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
- NPG Ax59127: Adelina Patti in costume for six different roles (includes the portrait)
- NPG x139661: 'Upwards of five hundred photographic portraits of the most celebrated personages of the age' (after)
- NPG x197566: 'Operatic Prima Donnas' (after)
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 61
Death of Prince Albert, from typhoid fever. Queen Victoria goes into a long period of mourning, withdrawing from public duties, and becomes known by the satirical title 'Widow of Windsor'.
Art and science
Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management
is published by her husband Sidney, who successfully maintained the Beeton brand after his wife's early death seven years later. The highly popular book, containing recipes and advice for housekeeping, appealed to the Victorian belief that a woman's role was managing the home.Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Company is founded, marking the start of the arts and crafts movement.
The American civil war begins after the Confederate army attacks Union forces at Fort Sumner in April. The Confederates, comprised of eleven southern states who seceded from the Union over the right to independence on issues such as abolition, are presided over by Jefferson Davis, formerly senator of Mississippi. Although the Union had early successes, the Confederates' victory at Bull Run sets the Union up for a long, four-year war.