1 portrait on display in Room 28 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Rupert Potter
carbon print, September 1879
11 1/2 in. x 6 7/8 in. (292 mm x 176 mm)
Given by Rupert Potter, 1914
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Bright (1811-1889), Statesman and orator. Sitter associated with 92 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Rupert Potter (1832-1914), Barrister and photographer; father of Beatrix Potter. Artist associated with 29 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Potter registered two photographs from this sitting for copyright in 1889 and exhibited one as a carbon enlargement at the annual exhibition of the Photographic Society of Great Britain (later the Royal Photographic Society) during the same year. The similarity in pose to that in Millais's portrait of Bright suggests Millais used this photograph while completing his painting. The finished painting was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1880.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 99
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 76
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The World of Rupert Potter: Photographs of Beatrix, Millais and friends (13 May 2014 - 16 November 2014)