1 portrait of Anne Boleyn
by William Nelson Gardiner, published by Edward Harding, after Silvester Harding, after Unknown artist
stipple engraving, published 1790
7 3/8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (188 mm x 138 mm) plate size; 8 7/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (225 mm x 184 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1957
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- William Nelson Gardiner (1766-1814), Engraver and bookseller. Artist associated with 51 portraits.
- Edward Harding (1755-1840), Engraver, publisher and librarian to Queen Charlotte. Artist associated with 186 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Silvester Harding (1745-1809), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 217 portraits.
- Unknown artist. Artist associated with 6424 portraits.
Events of 1790back to top
Current affairsAttempts to modify the Test and Corporation Acts are defeated, despite campaigning by dissenters such as the prominent Unitarian preacher and pamphleteer, Richard Price. The Acts prevented those outside the established church from holding government or military office.
Art and scienceJoseph Mallord William Turner exhibits his first painting at the Royal Academy; a watercolour of The Archbishop's Palace, Lambeth.The Firth to Clyde and Oxford to Birmingham canals are begun.
InternationalEdmund Burke publishes Reflections on the Revolution in France. A landmark work of opposition to the Revolution which offered a critique of the radical philosophy behind events in France; the Reflections have been read as an articulation of the foundations of modern British conservatism. George Vancouver explores the north west coast of America.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Augustus Pugin
31 January, 12:30