The Strachey family
10 of 49 portraits of Oliver Strachey
The Strachey family
by Graystone Bird
albumen print on the photographer's printed mount, circa 1893
7 7/8 in. x 9 1/2 in. (199 mm x 241 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Dorothy Bussy (née Strachey) (1865-1960), Author and translator. Sitter associated with 34 portraits.
- Elinor Rendel (née Strachey) (1859-1944), Daughter of Sir Richard Strachey; wife of James Rendel. Sitter in 34 portraits.
- James Beaumont Strachey (1887-1967), Psychoanalyst and translator. Sitter in 44 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Jane Maria (née Grant), Lady Strachey (1840-1928), Wife of Sir Richard Strachey. Sitter associated with 47 portraits.
- (Giles) Lytton Strachey (1880-1932), Critic and biographer; son of Sir Richard Strachey. Sitter in 143 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Marjorie Strachey (1882-1962), Writer. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- Oliver Strachey (1874-1960), Musician, civil servant and author; cryptographer. Sitter in 49 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- (Joan) Pernel Strachey (1876-1951), College head and french scholar. Sitter in 27 portraits.
- Philippa ('Pippa') Strachey (1872-1968), Suffragist. Sitter in 43 portraits.
- Ralph Strachey (1868-1923), Civil engineer in India. Sitter in 26 portraits.
- Sir Richard Strachey (1817-1908), Lieutenant-General, scientist and engineer. Sitter in 32 portraits.
- Richard John Strachey (1862-1935), Colonel. Sitter in 26 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hamilton, Peter; Hargreaves, Roger, The Beautiful and the Damned: The Creation of Identity in Nineteenth Century Portrait Photography, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 6 June to 7 October 2001), p. 26
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 139
- Spalding, Frances, Insights: The Bloomsbury Group, 2005, p. 93
- Spalding, Frances, The Bloomsbury Group, 2013, p. 106
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Somerset (Strachey family home, Sutton Court, Somerset)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Beautiful and the Damned (6 June 2001 - 7 October 2001)