3 of 8 portraits of Thomas Gainsborough
by Francesco Bartolozzi, published by John Boydell, published by Josiah Boydell, after Thomas Gainsborough
stipple engraving, published 1 January 1798 (1787-1788)
9 7/8 in. x 7 7/8 in. (252 mm x 201 mm) plate size; 16 7/8 in. x 11 1/2 in. (430 mm x 292 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 262 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Artist associated with 164 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Josiah Boydell (1752-1817), Artist and publisher. Artist associated with 66 portraits.
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (90 Cheapside, London; the Shakespeare Gallery, Pall Mall, London)