© Jillian Edelstein / Camera Press
Blur (Alex James; Dave Rowntree; Graham Coxon; Damon Albarn)
by Jillian Edelstein Click on the links below to find out more
bromide print, December 1996
15 1/8 in. x 15 in. (385 mm x 380 mm) image size
Given by Jillian Edelstein, 2008
- Damon Albarn (1968-), Musician, singer and songwriter for 'Blur' and co-founder of 'Gorillaz'. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Graham Coxon (1969-), Guitarist; member of Blur. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Steven Alexander ('Alex') James (1968-), Musician; bassist for Blur. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Dave Rowntree (1964-), Musician; drummer for Blur. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Jillian Edelstein (1957-), Photographer. Artist of 115 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
The largest ever IRA bomb is detonated in Manchester causing the destruction of many buildings and over 200 injuries. Nobody died in the incident because a warning was given and the area evacuated. After the bombing much of Manchester was rebuild and in 1998 it won a successful bid to host the 2002 Commonwealth Games.Prince Charles and Princess Diana finalise their divorce after four years of separation.
Art and science
The Spice Girls enjoy massive popular success with their first single Wannabe
going straight to Number 1. The group are remembered as much for their sassy, outspoken 'girl power' attitude and their continuing subsequent celebrity as for their music.Danny Boyle tells the story of a group of Edinburgh heroin addicts in his critically acclaimed film version of Irvine Welsh's novel Trainspotting
The First Chechnya War breaks out between Chechnya and Russia when Russian forces invade the country in support of Chechnyan opposition to the government. The invasion went badly with strong Chechnyan resistance and dissent in the Russian command. However, a truce was finally established after Russia seized the capital Grozny. More than 46,000 people died as a result of the conflict.