by Achille Devéria, printed by François Le Villain, published by Edward Bull, published by Edward Churton, after Unknown artist
hand-coloured lithograph, 1830s
19 1/4 in. x 14 1/8 in. (488 mm x 358 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Edward Bull (active circa 1800-1841), Publisher. Artist associated with 25 portraits.
- Edward Churton (1812-1885), Publisher. Artist associated with 19 portraits.
- Achille Devéria (1800-1857), Lithographer. Artist associated with 8 portraits.
- François Le Villain (active 1820s-1830s), Lithographic printer. Artist associated with 26 portraits.
- Unknown artist. Artist associated with 6430 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (26 Holles Street, Cavendish Square, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 16 March 2018
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 31 July