1 of 2 portraits of Paul Asquith
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate film negative, 9 December 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Paul Asquith (1927-1984), Younger son of Baron Asquith of Bishopton. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Events of 1966back to top
Current affairsThe English football team wins against West Germany at the World Cup Final in Wembley.144 people, including 116 children, die in the Aberfan disaster when a colliery waste tip slides down a mountain in Wales.Ian Brady and Myra Hindly are sentence to life imprisonment for the brutal Moors Murders.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard's first play Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead premiers. This absurdist play uses two minor characters from Hamlet to explore the existential themes of free will verses determinism and the futility of language.Seamus Heany publishes his first volume of poems, Death of a Naturalist.
InternationalThe Cultural Revolution is launched in China in order to bring Chinese culture and society in line with communist ideals. It was also, however, an attempt by Mao Zedong to regain control of the country after the mistakes of the Great Leap Forward.Archbishop of Canterbury, Arthur Michael Ramsey meets Pope Paul VI, the first official meeting between the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches for 400 years.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Elaine Vernon and Danny Fer by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Marjorie Dolman and Dorothy Dolman by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ivy Shilling and Fred Hobson Leslie by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ethel Walters by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print