by Walter Stoneman
vintage print, 3pm 1 April 1941
10 7/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (275 mm x 209 mm)
Given by Walter Stoneman, 1942
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), Prime Minister. Sitter in 165 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Walter Stoneman (1876-1958), Photographer. Artist associated with 17857 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
When Walter Stoneman photographed Winston Churchill he was the eighth Prime Minister he had photographed for the National Photographic Record (see article published in Illustrated, 19 April 1941). Another copy of this print was reputedly kept on Stalin's desk in the Kremlin. Sensing the historical significance of the sitting Stoneman recorded not just the date but the hour it was taken.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 239
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Commissioning Photographs 1917-1970 (23 January 2006 - 4 June 2006)
Exhibitions and displays
- ‘No end of a lesson’: The Boer War, 1899-1902
Until 23 November