by Howard Coster
vintage print, 1936
9 1/2 in. x 7 1/4 in. (240 mm x 184 mm)
Given by the estate of Howard Coster, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Margery Louise Allingham (1904-1966), Crime writer and novelist. Sitter in 48 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9344 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This was the first image of Allingham to enter the National Portrait Gallery collection in 1959 on the death of the photographer Howard Coster. Nine other poses from this sitting were acquired in 1974 when Coster's negative collection was transferred from the Central Office of Information. Francis Goodman's surviving archive was bequeathed to the gallery on his death in 1989.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pepper, Terence; Strong, Arthur, Howard Coster's Celebrity Portraits, 1985 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 28 June - 8 September 1985), p. 31
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals