King Henry VIII
20 of 95 portraits of King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
after Unknown artist
line engraving, 17th-18th century
2 7/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (74 mm x 183 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Events of 1601back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex marches on the City but the rebellion fails. He is proclaimed a traitor and executed. A Spanish fleet lands in Ireland to assist the Catholic rebellion. Lord Mountjoy leads the English army to victory over the Irish and Spanish force at the Battle of Kinsale.Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury begins secret negotiations with James VI of Scotland to secure a peaceful handover of power after the Queen's death.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Twelfth Night. The poet and clergyman John Donne begins The Progress of the Soul, an unfinished satire on the soul of the apple eaten by Eve. The Speaker of the House of Commons Sir Edward Phelips builds Montacute House, Somerset.Sir James Lancaster leads the first trading venture of the East India Company to acquire spices from Sumatra.
InternationalSpanish Hapsburg forces lay siege of the United Provinces port of Ostend. The town surrenders in 1604 after one of the longest sieges in history and bloodiest battles of the Eighty Years' War, during which the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands fought for independence from Spain. Tokugawa Ieyasu, ruler of Japan, makes his capital at Yedo (present-day Tokyo).
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July
- Henry VIII Remembered
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII
21 March, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester
7 March, 12:30