Charles John Ellicott
1 portrait of Charles John Ellicott
Charles John Ellicott
by Bassano Ltd
3 5/8in. x 2 1/4in. (92 mm x 58 mm)
acquired Edith M. Twist, 1946
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Charles John Ellicott (1819-1905), Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. Sitter in 26 portraits.
Events of 1902back to top
Current affairsPrime Minister Lord Salisbury resigns and is replaced by his nephew, Balfour, who this year introduces the Education Act, which controversially hands control of secondary education from school boards to Local Education Authorities. Arthur Griffith, leader of the Society of Gaels, introduces a policy of 'Sinn Fein' at a Society meeting in Dublin, which includes passive resistance to the British and the establishment of an Irish ruling council.
Art and scienceJoseph Conrad publishes his short story The Heart of Darkness, a powerful critique of European imperialism. Based on his experiences in Africa, the narrative follows Charles Marlow's journey into the Belgian Congo in search of the mysterious trader Kurtz. In New York, Alfred Stieglitz founds the Photo-Secession movement, a group of US photographers influenced by the Pictoralist movement, seeking recognition of photography as art in its own terms.
InternationalThe first Aswan Dam is opened on the Nile, at the time the world's largest dam. The gravity dam, 1900m long and 54m high, was designed by Sir William Willcocks and built by engineers including Sir John Aird, whose firm John Aird & Company was the main contractor. The Boer War ends after the Boers accept their loss of independence under the Treaty of Vereeniging, bringing the Boer republics under British control.
Related shop items
- Maurice and Walton by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Elaine Vernon and Danny Fer by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Marjorie Dolman and Dorothy Dolman by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ivy Shilling and Fred Hobson Leslie by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ethel Walters by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print