1 portrait on display in Room 31 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Unknown photographer
bromide print, 1921
6 5/8in. x 8in. (154 mm x 202 mm)
Given by the Britten estate, 1981
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- (Edward) Benjamin Britten, Baron Britten (1913-1976), Composer. Sitter in 119 portraits, Artist of 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This photograph shows Britten aged seven playing the piano in the drawing room at Kirkley Cliff Road surrounded by music scores.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Suffolk (drawing room, sitter's home, 21 Kirkley Cliff Road, Lowestoft)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Benjamin Britten: A Life in Pictures (5 November 2013 - 30 June 2014)
Events of 1921back to top
Current affairsMarie Stopes, campaigner for women's rights and pioneer of family planning, opens her first clinic in London, offering a free service to married women. While Stopes's forthright and open-minded attitudes have helped to change opinion about family planning and sex, her opinions on eugenics have been criticised and are now out-of-step with current thinking.
Art and scienceBritish-born star of Hollywood Charlie Chaplin visits London where he is greeted by thousands. In 1921 Chaplain made his film, The Kid, which told the story of a tramp who finds an abandoned baby in an alley and decides to look after him. The portrayal of poverty in the film drew on Chaplain's own experiences of growing up in a working class family in London.
InternationalThe Anglo-Irish Treaty partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State (later the Republic of Ireland) and Northern Ireland. The Irish Free State was granted independence, while six of the Northern counties of Ulster decided to remain part of Britain. The treaty came into effect in 1922.
Exhibitions and displays
- Conscientious Objectors of the First World War
Until 5 February
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Imogen Holst
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Yehudi Menuhin
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Benjamin Britten
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Eric Fenby
- Only Connect - installation video
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen