1 portrait on display in Room 31 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Unknown photographer
bromide print, September 1923
5 1/4in. x 3 1/8in. (132 mm x 81 mm)
Given by the Britten estate, 1981
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- (Edward) Benjamin Britten, Baron Britten (1913-1976), Composer. Sitter in 119 portraits, Artist of 5 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Benjamin Britten: A Life in Pictures (5 November 2013 - 30 June 2014)
Events of 1923back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin begins the first of three terms of government as Conservative Prime Minister following the resignation of Andrew Bonar Law.
Art and scienceBolton Wanderers beat West Ham United in the first FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium. The Cup Final was held at Wembley every year except during the war until 2000.
InternationalHitler attempts to take power in Germany with the Munich Beer Hall Putsch. On the 8th November Hitler and the SA stormed a meeting of the ruling 'triumvirs' forcing them to support a march on Berlin. The coup, however, failed and Hitler was arrested and sentences to five years in prison.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Imogen Holst
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Eric Fenby
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Yehudi Menuhin
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Benjamin Britten
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned