10 of 47 portraits of Clement Attlee
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate nitrate negative, 13 September 1938
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Clement Richard Attlee, 1st Earl Attlee (1883-1967), Prime Minister. Sitter in 47 portraits.
Events of 1938back to top
Current affairsBritain pursues its policy of appeasement. At the Munich Agreement, Britain, France and Italy agreed to allow Hitler to seize the Sudetenland area of Czechoslovakia. The agreement was seen at the time as a triumph for peace, with Neville Chamberlain returning home brandishing the paper agreement and saying 'peace for our time.' Within six months Germany had occupied the rest of Czechoslovakia.
Art and scienceGraham Greene publishes Brighton Rock. The novel follows the decent of Pinky, a teenage gang leader in Brighton's criminal underworld. The book examines the criminal mind and explores the themes of morality and sin - recurrent concerns for the Roman Catholic Author. Glasgow hosts the Empire Exhibition; an £11 million celebration of the British Empire visited by 13 million people.
InternationalIn its pursuit of 'Lebensraum' (living space), Germany annexes Austria and parts of Czechoslovakia with little opposition from the League of Nations. At home, the Nazis continued their escalating persecution of the Jews with 'Kristallnach' (the Night of Broken Glass), attacking Jewish homes, shops, businesses and synagogues, and taking Jewish men to concentration camps.
Exhibitions and displays
Related shop items
- Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and his legacy - 1860 - 1960
- Elaine Vernon and Danny Fer by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Marjorie Dolman and Dorothy Dolman by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ivy Shilling and Fred Hobson Leslie by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ethel Walters by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Ellaline Terriss, Lady Hicks by Bassano Studio greetings card
- Audrey Hepburn by Bassano Mini-print
- Prime Ministers Mug