Sir Walter Adams
2 of 6 portraits of Sir Walter Adams
Sir Walter Adams
by Howard Coster
bromide print, 1950s
8 1/8in. x 6 5/8in. (206 mm x 154 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9346 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War breaks out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Collected Archives - C-D
- Learn more
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen