19 of 30 portraits of Anthony Asquith
by Howard Coster
bromide print, 1935
6 1/4in. x 4in. (158 mm x 112 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anthony Asquith (1902-1968), Film director; youngest son of Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9343 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1935back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin starts his third term as Prime Minister after Ramsay Macdonald resigns due to ill health. Coincidentally, Baldwin's first term in office also came about when the Prime Minister of the time, Bonar Law, stepped down due to illness in 1923.
Art and scienceRobert Watson-Watt demonstrates Radar, showing how an aircraft can be tracked by detecting radio waves reflected off it. During the war, Watson-Watt established a network of machines and operators that helped detect the approach of enemy aircraft in the Battle of Britain.Penguin publishes its first paperback books, making reading more portable and affordable to a wider audience.
InternationalItaly invades Abyssinia. The invasion of the country now known as Ethiopia was part of Mussolini's plan to create an Italian Empire. It was also an attempt to avenge Abyssinia's victory over the Italian army at Adowa in 1896.Germany introduces conscription, breaking the disarmament clause of the Treaty of Versailles.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary