1 portrait of Laura Knight
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate glass negative, 20 February 1936
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame Laura Knight (1877-1970), Artist; wife of Harold Knight. Sitter in 33 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Athletes and Olympians
- Born in 1856
- Gaiety Girls
- British Blondes
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- DCMS Bassano Project
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen