2 of 25 portraits of Ben Travers
by Howard Coster
11in. x 9 7/8in. (282 mm x 231 mm)
Given by the estate of Howard Coster, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9346 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Collected Archives - C-D
- Learn more
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen